One Size Fits All Mentality

I don't actually completely consider myself a crunchy mama, although I definitely lean that direction in some areas. I love that in the beginning not only did God create the plants of the earth (herbs included), but then He created us. Those herbs have the power to heal our bodies when we are sick, stop bug bites from itching, and on and on. The medicinal properties are incredible. My cupboard is full of them!
I'll have to go into a more detailed post at a later time with all the different herbs, supplements, and eo's I keep on stock in my medicine cabinet and what each of them does.  In the meantime, back to the story at hand.
 Some of the popular crunchy motherhood ideas include exclusively/extended breastfeeding, using cloth diapers and while you are at it, wipes, herbals for healing, co-sleeping, not circumcising, babywearing, extended car seat usage, homeschooling, homebirth advocates... Well, you get the point.
Confession time: I do NOT adhere to nor do I even agree with all the different crunchy mama ideas. (Ducking from thrown tomatoes)
Moms, it's time to stop throwing tomatoes at your fellow moms when they choose to do things differently!  You see, we were not all created the same. We were created with differing personalities and abilities. On top of this, we were created with differing children, some of us with more than others creating even more personalities and differences.
I consider myself an eclectic personality. My homeschooling is eclectic. I do not abide by just one train of thought, but try to keep things balanced. (That being said, the Bible is and always will be my moral compass and instructional manual in life. This does not mean I do things just like every Christian)
Here's a quote from the book we are doing in our Bible/book study:
"I see so many young women today who live by fear- fear of what others will think, fear of how they might ruin their children, fear of the expectations of other people, fear that they will not fill all the holes in their children's lives. I also see women who are afraid to be themselves.
Often in this peer-pressured world, a close second-place motivator to fear is legalism, living by rules and works. So many women are exhausting themselves trying to appease everyone's expectations of them. Following every blog and every piece of advice from books, whether good or bad, they are wearing out themselves and their children. It is vitally important for women to learn how to think biblically for themselves instead of being enslaved to other people's thoughts and opinions. To truly follow God with everything in our lives, we must learn to develop discernment."
Desperate: Hope for the Mom who needs to Breathe
  Moms, it's time to stop having a one size fits all mentality. What works for me may not work for you and what works for you may not work for me. Instead of following what others expect, even when it is obviously not working for you, follow your gut and ask God for discernment in making the choices that are best for your family. Each of us should have a different story to tell and I can't wait to hear yours!

 
 

Comments