Tried and True Homeschool Curriculum (grades 3-8)

In grades 3-8, I change things up a bit and use a more intensive, yet still eclectic, variety of curriculum. If I have a 2nd grader who is reading well, I will also use the following instead of my basic, no fluff style I blogged about here.  All of these lean toward student-led rather than teacher intensive. When teaching many children at varying ages during the day, student-led is the way to go, not to mention the fact that it helps to develop leaders, initiative takers, and strong work ethic among your children.

For English, I really like (and the kids LOVE) ACE English Paces. These are really well done, colorful, and everyone I know who has graduated from the ACE program, has incredible grammar skills. It has a soft, gentle approach and isn't overwhelming like some others. Both my boys and my girls thoroughly enjoy ACE.



I also use ACE for Literature & Creative Writing. These, like all the subjects of the ACE paces, intertwine Godly values and morals throughout their curriculum. Instead of reading "The dog caught the ball", each story will give a lesson on a character trait based upon a Biblical worldview with an age appropriate reading level.
Additional literature books are needed to complete the Paces. I like that the children are reading an actual book compared to the literature being found straight in their textbook. I believe it can foster a greater love of learning and reading considering the questions and "work" portion are in a separate  Pace workbook and the fun, exciting, adventure story is in its own book/novel.
In 3rd grade, students read Summer Fun with Ace and Christi and Christians Courageous.
In 4th grade, they read The Little Green Frog, Saved at Sea, Ace and Christi Series-The Red Rag Riddle, Charlotte's Web, Children's Missionary Library, and Choice Stories for Children.
In 5th grade, Choice Stories for Children, North to Amaroqvik, Heidi, Ace and Christi Series- Miracle at Camp Friendship, A Dog of Flanders, and Star of Light.
In 6th grade, they enjoy The Fugitive King, Christians with Courage, Alexi's Secret Mission, Ace and Christi Series- Grandpa's Christmas Gift, Little Pilgrim's Progress, and Treasures of the Snow.
7th graders read George Mueller, D.L.Moody: The Greatest Evangelist of the Nineteenth Century, Through Gates of Splendor, By Searching, and The Swiss Family Robinson.
And in 8th grade, students their literature studies with God's Adventurer, Little One Maid of Israel, When Science Fails, Abraham Lincoln, Ann of Ava, and In His Steps.

As you can see, these stories appeal to both boys and girls making this curriculum one of the best out there for both genders to enjoy! That being said, because each Pace has the same style, I do not use it for every subject as I like to mix it up and keep things interesting.


For Handwriting, we use A Reason for Handwriting. Each student completes 3 days of practice writing. On the 4th day, they trace a Scripture. On the 5th day, they rip out one of the lined, decorated pages in the back of the book and write the Scripture they had practiced the day before. They are  encouraged to do a great job so they can give it to a friend or relative.
Cursive and manuscript are available. I use whichever I feel would work best for the individual student.

Spelling is a tricky one. We've tried everything out there. Sometimes even my good spellers failed miserably. Many, many people frequently ask for a good spelling curriculum and until recently, I couldn't even recommend one. However, that all changed when Spelling You See was written. Finally, a spelling curriculum that has the gentle, no fluff approach I strive to implement in my homeschool and has proven itself with wonderful results among all of my children and their many learning styles.  I even have my highschooler using these because she missed out on their availability earlier, it's that good!

Spelling You See even comes with erasable colored pencils to mark the different spelling tricks.

The brother program to Spelling You See is Math-U-See, which I highly recommend. Again, it works for all learning styles. It is mastery based. It builds on and expects mastery for each new subject before introducing a new concept.
It is also student paced. There is no need to complete all 7 pages given for each new lesson/concept. In my homeschool, if the child answers all their questions correctly, they may move on to the next lesson. That being said, if my child is struggling with a concept, they have 7 days worth of worksheets to continue their efforts. If they are still having a hard time, I can go to Math-U-See's website and print off more worksheets based on that particular lesson. It's a win-win. Math oriented students can fly through and those not gifted in the mathematics can take their time until understanding is reached.
You can see samples and take placement tests through the Math-U-See website.
 Disclaimer: Some people find the Delta level (Division) a little different and often switch to another curriculum, but I would encourage you to stick it out as we've tried almost everything, and Math-U-See truly is the best.

We complete Bible together using Apologia's What We Believe series. I buy the coloring books to go with them and the children color while I read. We are going on to the 4th one now and have enjoyed these so much that I'm keeping them to rotate and use again.


We also complete History together using various and different living book curriculums. This means we use a literature-based approach rather than using dry, boring textbooks. I usually just pick the time period I want to use and then check out various publishers and find the one that looks the most interesting for that period. One of my favorites has been Beautiful Feet. We have used them for several years and have always been delighted with their content.
 This year we are using Veritas Press History Survey and Transitions. We're only a month in, but my children AND husband always beg for me to read more!

Some other publishers that print similar materials are My Father's World, Notgrass, Winter Promise, Sonlight, and Trail Guide to Learning.

Sigh. Science.
This year my children are completing science through co-op, watching Wild Kratts, and listening to Jonathan Park audios.
I've tried Apologia, Answers in Genesis, Real Science 4 Kids, and probably many others. I have yet to find something I'm thrilled with. That being said, we took a chance with the Life Science from Master Books this year for my 9th grader and she LOVES it!

*UPDATE* We are thoroughly enjoying the Wonders of Creation series from Master Books. There are 9 different books on varying topics. Each of the kids picked their favorites and are reading through 2-4 of them this year dependent on reading level. The older children (7-9) are also doing the workbook pages that correspond. You can find more details here.*

This year I also threw in Mind Benders from Critical Thinking Company. These help teach logic and thinking outside of the box. One of my children struggles immensely in this area, but because I didn't want her to feel out of place, everyone is doing them at their own levels.

Well, I know this was a very long blog post. Thank you for hanging in there. Feel free to follow me on Pinterest where I have both a Curriculum and a Homeschooling board.

So, what have you found are your tried and true curriculum favorites?

















Comments